Since its creation in June 2010, Createc Ltd has provided technology development and R&D consultancy, serving various industries including the civil nuclear, transport, defence and security sectors. With an expert team of creative problem solvers, one of Createc’s successes is their unique imaging and sensing technology. These applied innovators have a mission to help people and machines understand the world around them. As such, the N-Visage® suite of imaging technologies puts forward an impressive line-up covering all aspects of 3D radiation mapping.
From maintenance to decommissioning strategy, activities on nuclear sites are regularly constrained by radiation fields, often due to complex source term conditions. Typically, radiation protection technicians are performing manual surveys of the conditions, and then producing (often hand sketch) dose & contamination survey maps. The traditional survey methods do not allow the communication of the complexity of both the plant geometry and the radiological conditions, thus limiting the use of this data to inform operations.
Createc’s N-Visage® gamma imagers (Scanner and the handheld version, Recon) are capable of mapping gamma readings onto images and videos, as well as combining 3D point cloud data with gamma readings to localise sources. Their flagship instrument for radiation characterisation, the N- Visage® Scanner, has been refined by Createc over the last ten years and is the only solution that uses 3D Lidar positioning, gamma detection and optical imaging to deliver a full 3D model of radiation and contamination sources.
Note 1: 100 Rem/h is equivalent to 1 Sv/h
Exelon – LaSalle NPP – Reactor Valve Cleanup (Capture & Mapping) – Marseilles (USA)
|Survey location||Survey data||N-Visage data||% Error|
|A||1,300 mR/h||1,304 mR/h||0.3%|
|B||600 mR/h||635 mR/h||5.8%|
Exelon – LaSalle NPP – Reactor Valve Cleanup (Analysis & Modeling) – Marseilles (USA)
|Survey location||No shield||A |
“Hot spot” shielding
|B||C||D Optimised shielding|
|1||769 mR/h||756 mR/h||522 mR/h||477 mR/h||422 mR/h|
|2||918 mR/h||901 mR/h||531 mR/h||378 mR/h||824 mR/h|
|3||1,283 mR/h||1,242 mR/h||740 mR/h||534 mR/h||414 mR/h|
|4||290 mR/h||286 mR/h||89 mR/h||192 mR/h||169 mR/h|
The N-Visage® Gamma Imager is the world’s most capable and versatile radiation scanning system for the nuclear industry. Designed by nuclear engineers for nuclear engineers, this is the first characterisation system specifically for challenging deployments through small apertures and in high dose areas.
The system utilises a unique imaging system based on CZT detector technology. This enables a light system, deployable through small apertures with extremely high background rejection, high spatial resolution, high energy resolution, and 360° viewing.
• Characterise reprocessing and fuel handling facilities using existing service ports, • Post-event characterisation and response,
• ROV deployed characterisation tasks,
• Understand and control the sources of dose in high-dose manual tasks,
• Remote waste assessments.
• Full 360° by 360° gamma image,
• Gamma images in under 3 hours,
• User controllable speed and resolution,
• No software required to review, analyse, share, • Energy resolution: 3% FWHM @ 662 keV,
• Energy range: 30 keV to 2 MeV,
• Integrated spherical camera and 3D laser,
• Spherical image resolution: 12 Megapixel,
• Point cloud range 10m, res. +/- 30mm,
• High dose tolerant: up to 1 Sv/hr (100 Rem/hr), • Fits through small apertures: 110mm OD,
• Weight: 10 – 15 kg (configurable),
• Umbilical length of up to 125m,
• Diameter 85mm; Height 583mm.
Any questions? Do you want to see more than Createc’s 3D radiation characterisation device? Do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will help you find a fit-for-purpose, cost-efficient solution to your challenge.
Unit 4, Derwent Mills Commercial Park,
Cockermouth, CA13 0HT United Kingdom
+44 (0) 1900 828112